Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Preaching Gaming to Academic Audiences

Yesterday at our all-staff meeting I gave a presentation summarizing the "Gaming in Libraries" symposium from Chicago in December.

I work at a large academic library and many people were confused about how understanding videogame culyture and videogamers could be instructive in our setting.

I think they liked it because we had a long dicussion afterward about ways to make our web presence better more interactive and ways to appeal to native gamers. Many closeted gamers spoke up and we had a sort of "AA" type confessional. "Hi I'm J. and I'm a Gamer."

Libraries are the places one goes to get "correct" information, as my colleague Francis Kayiwa stated. If we can appeal to a gamer generation mindset wherein shared information is valuable, and correct information is the best, then we can communicate more easily with gamers as a "clan leader" as opposed to an authoritarian defender of the secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment